Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs (Recipe 42 of 125)

Photo from A Saucy
Kitchen
As I was cooking this tonight I couldn't help but wonder if I shouldn't do a week of "Cooking Around
the World" in which each day is a different country. It could be an interesting adventure. 

Tonight was all about Indian. This was a solid dish. Flavorful and filling. Ground chicken is a nice switch up for a protein. I don't use it too often and I should use it more. It makes a nice meatball. 

The combination of lime, coconut, and curry make this dish extra yummy to me. It made about 12 meatballs for me. I served myself up 4 and it was just the right amount. You could totally get away with 3 per person. 


Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs
Recipe from Asaucykitchen.com

Serves 4

MEATBALLS
1 pound ground chicken or turkey 
3 whole spring onions, finely chopped
1 green chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 T coconut aminos (I didn't have aminos so I used soy sauce)
3/4 tsp salt (omit if using soy sauce)

CURRY
2 T coconut oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 T minced ginger
1 T minced garlic
1 red bell pepper, deseeded and cut into slices
3 T red curry paste
1 T curry powder
1 14 ounce can unsweetened full fat coconut milk
1 c chicken stock
2 T lime juice
1 large handful spinach (I -um - left this out. I am not a fan of cooked spinach)

MEATBALLS

Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.

In a bowl combine all of your meatball ingredients. Mix well and form into tablespoon sized balls. You should end up with about 20 meatballs.

Place balls on lined baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes.

CURRY

While the meatballs are baking, melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over a medium heat on the stove. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes to soften.

Add the garlic, ginger and red pepper and cook another 2-3 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and curry paste. Cook 1 minute.

Add the coconut milk and chicken stock. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken and reduces down in volume.

Stir in meatballs. Cook another 5 minutes or until the curry sauce has reduced down to your preference. The longer it cooks the thicker the sauce.

Add the spinach and lime juice to the skillet. Stir and let the spinach wilt. Taste and season with salt if needed.

Serve over rice or cauliflower rice and enjoy.

No comments: