Saturday, March 20, 2021

Baked Pork Chops (Recipe 45 of 125)

If you're playing along at home, there are approximately 40 weeks left this year. That's 2 new recipes a week. I have NO doubt I'll hit and pass the goal of 125. My original goal thought was 150 - so we'll call that a stretch goal. I did 135 ish last year. 

Anyhow, every now and then I come across a recipe that I don't like to count as a "recipe" because it seems so simple. I'm still counting it though. 

I choose to not bake the pork chops. I feel like the grill makes a much better tasting piece of meat and I don't think baking makes a bit of difference in the flavor. I'm using a gas grill, so there's no "grill" flavor really. 

The most exciting thing about this recipe is I actually was patient enough to do the indirect heat on the chops so I could baste them and not overcook them. I still slightly overcooked them but they were still juicy and delicious. Look at those grill marks! 

This recipe was good and easy. It could easily be a go to for BBQ chops.

Baked Pork Chops
Recipe from Cafedelites.com

Serves 4

MARINADE

  • 3 T Bbq sauce
  • 1 T low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 tsp packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pinch cayenne pepper)

PORK CHOPS

  • 4 pork chops or cutlets, around 7-8oz each (bone in or boneless)
  • 1/2 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder and paprika
  • Seasoning salt and cracked black pepper, to season

Move oven shelf is about 8-inches from the top heat element. Preheat oven to 430°F for standard oven, or 390°F for fan forced/convection. [Jenn note: Or just heat up the grill]

Lightly grease a baking sheet/tray with oil. Line with foil or parchment paper, set aside.

Combine together BBQ sauce, soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, minced garlic, salt and cayenne pepper in a bowl, Mix well, set aside.

Rub pork chops with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Arrange chops onto prepared baking sheet.

Take two-thirds of the marinade to slather each chop generously all over. Reserve the rest for basting later.

Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Flip pork over and baste each chop with the reserved marinade, brushing all over to evenly coat (or spread using the back of a spoon).

Change oven setting to broil (grill) on medium-high heat setting. Broil until edges are caramelized, about 7-10 minutes (please make sure oven shelf is about 8-inches/20cm from the top heat element).

Remove from oven. Flip once more and baste all over with the pan juices. Return to broiler for a further 1-3 minutes until nice and golden.

To serve, brush all pan juices back onto the pork. Season with a little extra cracked black pepper and garnish with parsley or fresh herbs of choice.

Jenn Note: If you choose to grill, I had the grill at 400F - all burners - and seared one side for about 2 minutes. Turned off one of the burners (my grill has two). Flipped and moved the chops to the side without the heat. Slathered them with BBQ sauce. Turned the other burner down to about 300. Flipped and glazed every five minutes or so. Last flip I turned up the heat to caramelize the BBQ sauce a bit.

No comments: