Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Creamy Orecchiette with Spinach and Prosciutto (Recipe 43 of 125)

Tonight was another "virtual" dinners with friends Paul and Suzanna. You remember right? Where we send each other one of our favorite recipes. We make the recipe then FaceTime and have dinner. It's always fun and we always end up talking for at least a couple of hours. 

Tonight Paul made my the Brown Sugar Bourbon Steak Tips. It sounded like a success for him. His recipe to me was this yummy, creamy, pasta-y goodness. 

First let me say, I RARELY like cooked spinach. I've learned, though, if I chop the spinach up (like julienne it) then I'm ok with it cooked. Less slimey. 

The other is I accidentally bought pancetta instead of prosciutto. Turns out pancetta was just fine. This could be a very versatile recipe. Paul, for example, does cheese tortellini instead of orecchiette. That would be brilliant in this recipe.

I will make this recipe again. In fact, I may make it for people! Like family or the Pantry Goat. 

The big surprise in this recipe, to me, was the lemon zest. That little tsp of lemon zest adds a nice back ground lemon flavor that is so refreshing.


Creamy Orecchiette with Spinach and Prosciutto
Recipe from FineDining (and from my friend Paul)

Serves 4 

Kosher salt
3/4 lb. dried orecchiette or medium shells
8 oz. baby spinach leaves (about 8 lightly packed cups)
1/2 c mascarpone
2 oz. coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1 cup using a box grater)
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 oz prosciutto (about 4 thin slices), coarsely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper

Bring a 6- to 8-quart pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente. Gently stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, a few seconds. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta and spinach.

Return the pot to the stove over low heat, add the mascarpone, Parmigiano, and lemon zest and cook until the mascarpone has melted, about 1 minute. Add the pasta, spinach, reserved pasta water, and the prosciutto and toss gently. Season to taste with pepper and serve.

No comments: