Monday, July 29, 2019

Thai Red Curry Chicken

Red curry with coconut milk is one of my favorite Thai meals. I've had it so many times that I really know what I like and don't like. In the restaurants they usually put basil, bell peppers, and bamboo shoots.  I'm ok with everything but the bell peppers.

This recipe is really a very stripped down version. I didn't add anything to it, but when I make this again I'd add bamboo shoots for sure.

I caved and ate this with white rice. I had cauliflower rice, but it had been in the fridge too long and had some furry elements to it.

I didn't use light coconut milk because the regular has only 2 g carbs, so I'm ok with that. There isn't much difference in the taste between the full fat and the light one.

I didn't use brown sugar but monkfruit instead. This was a mistake. It completely changed the flavor and it wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped. If/when I make it again, I'll keep the brown sugar and just plan on those carbs.

Thai Red Curry Chicken
Recipe from Weight Watchers Ultimate Cookbook
Serves 4

2 tsp canola oil
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, lightly pounded to even thickness
1/4 tsp salt
2 scallions, chopped
2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 c light coconut milk
1 T red curry paste
1 T Asian fish sauce
1 T packed brown sugar
2 tsp lime juice
2 T chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and add to the skillet. Cook the chicken until browned on the outside and cooked through, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

Reduce heat to medium, add the scallions, ginger and garlic; cook stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds. add the coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice. Bring to a boil. reduce the heat and simmer; stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken, 5-6 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute longer. Serve, sprinkle cilantro over top.

No comments: