Friday, July 12, 2019

Creamy One Pot Chicken Stroganoff

"Creamy" is one of my favorite words when describing food. I mean, who doesn't like something "creamy". But, can "creamy" go too far?

I think it did in this recipe. I love stroganoff. It's one of my all time favorites. What I like is the tang the sour cream gives to the "creamy" sauce. This recipe uses cream cheese and I gotta say, I'm not a fan.

I won't make this one again, but if you love the flavor of cream cheese, this one's for you. Super easy, and honestly if I do ever remake this, I'd just use a cup of sour cream.

Most of the low carb recipes I've see use cream cheese because of it's low carb count. But sour cream, light sour cream that is, has less than 4 carbs, so the switch would be ok for me.

Creamy One Pot Chicken Stroganoff
Photo credit to Sweetcsdesigns.com
Recipe from Sweetcsdesigns.com
Serves 6

3 tbsp butter
3 chicken, sliced in half (or 6 small chicken breasts)
salt and pepper, to taste
1 onion, diced
8 oz mushrooms, cremini, sliced thin
1/4 cup garlic
1 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp Italian herb seasoning blend
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, melt butter until foamy and melted.

Generously salt and pepper chicken breasts.

Add to pan and cook on medium high until lightly browned on the outside, about 4 minutes per side.

Add onion to pan, cook to soft, about another 5 minutes.

Add mushrooms and garlic and cook to soft, about 6 minutes.

Add stock to pan and scrape up any browned bits, turn heat to high and let reduce in half.

Add cream cheese, Parmesan, Italian spice, pepper flakes, pepper, and stir.

After about 3 minutes when stock thickens and chicken has fully cooked, serve over pasta, rice, baked potato, or sautéed vegetables. [ JW note: Sadly I put it over nothing. I'm sure if it was over rice or pasta it wouldn't change how I feel about it.]

Calories: 254
Carbs: 8
Protein: 29

No comments: