Thursday, September 12, 2013

Singapore Chow Mai Fun

According to the Weight Watchers cookbook "mai fun" is a rice noodle.  You soak them and then cook them in the sauce/meat combo.  I, however, missed this in the recipe and ended up using linguini.  Still with linguini this was a delicious dish. 

It's super easy and tasty on top of it. Further more, it's 265 calories and 5 points. I may or may not had to make a couple of changes.  For starters, I had ground turkey in my freezer so used that instead of pork.  I'm sure pork would be so good in this, but the turkey was delicious in this. It really picked up the flavor of the curry.  If you don't like yellow curry you won't like this recipe.  I happen to love it.

I doubled the sauce ingredients. I like things saucy! I would, however, not double up the chili-garlic sauce. I may or may not have burned my lips off.

Despite that, this is a simple and great recipe.

Singapore Chow Mai Fun

Serves 4
PointsPlus 5

6 oz mai fun (rice sticks or rice noodles)
1/2 c low sodium chicken broth
3 T reduced sodium soy sauce
1 T rice vinegar
2 tsp chili-garlic sauce
1 tsp sugar
6 oz lean ground pork
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T curry powder
1 red bell pepper (seeded and chopped) I did not include this... shocking

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the mai fun and soak until softened, 5-6 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Combine the broth, soy sauce, vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.

Spray a nonstick wok or large, deep skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the pork and stir fry until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and curry powder. Stir fry until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and stir fry until crisp and tender, about 2 minutes.  Add the broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 1 minute. Add the  noodles and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

No comments: