Monday, September 30, 2013

Chicken Diane

I wasn't sure what to expect with this recipe. It had all ingredients that I liked and so I figured that I'd like the way the chicken would turn out.

If I make it again I'd actually cut the chicken up in cubes and cook it that way. I'm a fan of bite size chicken pieces instead of trying to cut the chicken after with a fork and knife. I know, I'm weird that way.

Anyhow, this is a super easy recipe and quite flavorful when all is said and done.  I put it over egg noodles, but I think it would be just as good over mashed potatoes.

Chicken Diane
Serves 2
Photo courtesy of cookingyummies.com
Calories: 340 (before the noodles)

1 T canola oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (season with salt and pepper)
1 T unsalted butter
1 T minced shallots
1 tsp minced garlic
3 T brandy
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c half and half (you can use heavy cream, but you don't need to simmer as long because it's already thicker)
1 T minced parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste

For the chicken, heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 6 minutes; flip cover and cook 6 more minutes.  Transfer chicken to a small plate and tent with foil.

For the sauce, melt butter in same skillet over medium heat. Stir in shallots and garlic; cook 30 seconds.

Off heat, deglaze with brandy, scraping up any browned bits on bottom.  Return skillet to the stove top over medium-high heat and boil brandy 30 seconds. Whisk in Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.

Off heat, whisk in half and half and parsley. Return skillet to the stove top over low heat to thicken sauce; season with salt and pepper. Return chicken to skillet and coat in sauce. Serve chicken and sauce.

No comments: