Monday, September 16, 2013

Red Rice

For rice dish #2 for the Rotating Sunday Dinner, I made Red Rice. I wasn't sure if the Poblano Rice would be hot, and we had a few folks that aren't fans of heat. So I made a non hot version. 

Everyday Food was one of my all time favorite magazines for recipes. It's a Martha Stewart magazine, but the recipes were simple and delicious.  Sadly the magazine is no longer.  I have, however, lots and lots of recipes through the years.

Again, I'm having rice making issues and I need to stop. I happen to love rice dishes and not making them well isn't going to work for me. In an attempt to "save time" I put this in a rice cooker. BIG mistake.  Didn't cook all the way through and I didn't have time to add more liquid to cook further.  I'd make this again though. The flavor was good, despite the "a dente" nature of it.


Courtesy of Everyday Food
Red Rice
Courtesy of Everyday Food
Serves 4

2 tsp vegetable oil
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T tomato paste
1 c long grain white rice
1 3/4 c low sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper
In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown around edges, 6 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Add long-grain white low-sodium chicken broth or water, and dried oregano; season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let rice sit, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.


No comments: