Friday, September 27, 2013

Chicken enchilada Soup

My sinuses are cleared.  Whew...got a little carried away with the chili powder in this soup. Still this was delicious. SUPER easy and quite flavorful. I'd make this again in a heart beat. 

If you love enchiladas, like I do, then this soup is for you. With every bite it tasted a lot like enchiladas. When I make it again, I would certainly make some rice with it and perhaps put it in the soup. It needed just a little bit more umph.

This recipe makes enough for two servings.  I added some extra chicken broth to extend it to at least 4 servings.  I wanted to freeze some servings.

Chicken Enchilada Soup
Courtesy of Cuisine at Home
Serves 2

Photo courtesy of Country Gourmet

2 T unsalted butter
1/4 c minced onion
1 T minced garlic
2 T flour
1 c low sodium chicken broth
2/3 c milk
1 c shredded cooked chicken (I used left over chicken I had from a previous meal)
1/3 c tomato sauce
3 T green chilis
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cilantro for sprinkling on top to serve.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook 2 minutes.  Stir in the flour to incorporate; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in broth and milk, bring to a boil and simmer until thick, 2 minutes.

Stir in chicken, tomato sauce, chiles, chili powder, cumin and oregano.  Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer soup to meld flavors, 10-15 minutes. Remove soup from heat and stir in cilantro. Serve soup with rice and/or tortilla chips.

No comments: