Saturday, September 7, 2013

Quick Beef Burgundy

The Pantry Goat was over the other night to help me move my BBQ inside (they were power washing the deck). So in order to help with her "eating" issue I figured I'd fix something that had great leftovers. The weather has also turned into fall-ish rain so I felt comfort food was in order.

Beef Burgundy - in general - is one of my favorites. To do it right it takes ALL DAY. I didn't have all day since I actually had to work, so I selected this "Quick Beef Burgundy" recipe.

Two things I love about it, besides it's delicious. Super easy. Super quick!

Quick Beef Burgundy
Photo courtesy of Cooks' Country
Courtesy of Cook's Country
Serves 4

2 lbs sirloin steak tips, cut into 1" chunks
Salt and pepper
4 slices bacon, chopped
8 oz cremini or white mushrooms, quartered
1 c frozen pearl onions, thawed (I thought I had these in the freezer so didn't buy them. Turned out I didn't. I just quartered and sliced a yellow onion instead)
3 T unsalted butter
1/4 c flour
2 c red wine
1 c low sodium chicken broth (I didn't have chicken broth, but had beef broth. Use what you have.)
2 tsp minced fresh thyme

Pat steak dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Cook bacon in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel to drain.

Cook steak tips in bacon fat (does it get better than this?) until well browned all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate and tent with foil. You'll want to do this in batches and not crowd your pan.  Crowding causes more moisture to release from the meat and then boils the beef instead.

Add mushrooms and onions to empty pot and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Stir in butter and flout into empty pot and cook until golden, about 1-2 minutes.  Stir in wine, broth and thyme.  Add in beef any accumulated juices.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in bacon, mushrooms and onions.

No comments: