Monday, May 10, 2010

Spaghetti Cabonara

Last Friday night I had Blueberry over for dinner. I enticed her with telling her I was making Spaghetti Cabonara. She didn't even have to think about it, she was all in.

See here's the thing about cabonara, it has raw eggs in it. I realize the warm pasta is supposed to cook these eggs, but I can not get past the raw egg thing, so I never EVER make cabonara the way it's supposed to. I cheat and use an alfredo type sauce.

This past Friday, I cheated even more and pulled a recipe from the old brandy snifter for Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo. To it I added peas and bacon, and voila cabonara. Sorta.

Regardless, it was fantastic. I got the seasoning dead on with the pepper and Parmesan cheese and I've gotta say, we were stuffed after. Blueberry went home with the leftovers and I'm sure she enjoyed them the day after.


Creamy Fettuccini Alfredo - Carbonara
Serves: 4
  • 1 cup Unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups Whipping cream
  • 2 cups Grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 box Fettuccine
  • Salt and lots of pepper
  • Fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
  • 1 cup peas
  • 4 slices bacon; cooked and crumbled

Cook bacon; drain on a paper towel and crumble.

Place the butter in a large heatproof bowl. Using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer set on low speed; beat until smooth. Add the cream and Parmesan cheese.

Stir until well blended; set aside.

Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and immediately add the hot pasta to the butter mixture in the large bowl. Using two forks, toss the fettuccine in butter mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Toss in peas and bacon. Garnish with basil.

No comments: