Monday, May 10, 2010

Lime Marinated Skirt Steak and Mexican Rice

You'd think being unemployed that I'd really be aware of what I was cooking. But the truth is, being unemployed has opened my eyes up to actually using what's in my freezer and/or pantry. Granted vegetables and what no have to be purchased, but they are generally not the most expensive item in the shopping cart. Meats and processed foods are. So, I'm eating through my freezer. The parental units are coming at the end of May and somehow my freezer ends up with more food than one person can buy (Dad loves to shop for meat).

Tonight I made Lime Marinated Skirt Steaks and Mexican Rice. Two things here. One, skirt steaks are a GREAT alternative to flank steaks. They are generally less expensive and you get the same type of flavor and meat as you would with flank. Skirt steaks generally take a marinade quite well too.

Two, I've been searching for years for the perfect Mexican rice. The Mexican rice that transports me back to Guadalajara Mexico and the exchange mother's rice. I've never come close. Until tonight. It's quite possible I've stumbled onto an award winning Mexican rice. It started with a Rachael Ray recipe and as in traditional Jenn manner I "added" to it. I channeled Mexico tonight and am still sitting in the goodness of this rice.

As for the lime marinade, I wasn't a huge fan. It really didn't have any lime flavor to speak of. The jalapeno overshadowed the entire thing. If I make this again, I'd cute the jalapeno amount in half.

Lime Marinated Skirt Steak
Serves 4:

  • 3 tablespoons Fresh lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon Soy sauce
  • 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
  • 1 Jalapeno, ribbed, seeded and diced
  • 1 1/2 pounds Skirt steak


1. In blender, combine lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, and jalapeño; purée until smooth. Transfer to a shallow dish or large resealable plastic bag. Toss with steak to coat. Let stand at least 30 minutes, and no more than 2 hours, to infuse with flavor.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high, until very hot. Cook steak, in two batches if necessary, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing thinly. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.

Jenn's Famous Mexican Rice
What? I'm allowed to name it.
Serves:4
  • 2T Butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 cup Enriched white rice
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilis
  • 1 cups chicken broth
  • 2T chopped cilantro
Melt butter. Sauté onion in butter for 2 to 3 minutes to soften in. Add rice and sauté rice in over medium-high heat, 2 or 3 minutes.

Drain the liquid from the tomatoes into a measuring cup. Add enough broth to equal 2 cups liquid.
Add drained tomatoes to rice. Add broth mixture and bring to a boil.

Cover rice, reduce heat and simmer, and cook, 18 to 20 minutes.

Fluff with a fork and add cilantro. Stir to combine well and serve.

No comments: