Monday, May 17, 2010

Soy Marinated Flank Steak

Ah Monday! A new week, 4 new recipes waiting patiently for me to work their magic. This week something amazing happened. I picked 4 recipes that I didn't need to buy any ingredients for. Weird, right? I have finally hit that point where a well stocked pantry and freezer apparently means no need to grocery shop (besides the cat food).

Tonight's recipe was what I would consider very simple and very tasty. I like simple recipes that give you a big bang for the simplicity. It proves yet again that fancy doesn't mean good, but that simple can be just as good.

As usual, I didn't buy flank steak. Skirt steak to me is way cheaper and you get the same taste really.

Soy Marinated Flank Steak
Serves 6:
JW Note: I used one third of a skirt steak and cut this recipe in half.

  • 1 cup Soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup Packed light brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons Cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ground pepper
  • 2 pounds Flank steak
1. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, red-pepper flakes, and pepper. Place steak in dish and cover dish tightly with plastic wrap. Swirl dish so that marinade coats the top of steak. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, turning steak occasionally.

2. Heat grill to high. Remove steak from marinade, letting excess drip off. Pour marinade into a saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.

3. Clean and lightly oil hot grates. Grill steak, covered, 6 minutes; turn, brush with glaze, and grill until medium-rare, 6 minutes more. Let rest 8 to 10 minutes before slicing.

JW Note: I didn't use a 9X13 pan. I used a good old fashion zip loc bag. And I marinaded for 2 hours.

No comments: