Sunday, May 16, 2010

Beef Enchilada Casserole

For my third recipe last week I selected one from my Cooking for Two cookbook. I like these types of cookbooks because it means limited leftovers and the scale for the ingredients is already figured out for me. I don't have to put my limited math skills to work.

This recipe was good. I'm a fan of Mexican food and particularly like enchiladas. This was a combination between enchiladas and lasagna. If I were to do this again, I'd do more layers and more tortillas.

I had to read this recipe like 5 times to figure out what they were asking. I still didn't really get it, so I did it the best I could. The recipe below isn't word for word as they had it, it's been simplified by my experience.

Beef Enchilada Casserole
It says it serves 2, but you can easily get 3 or 4 out of this.

  • 6 (6") corn tortillas (does matter if you use yellow or white)

  • 1 (10oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes (I couldn't find Ro-tel so I used about a cup and half of diced tomatoes with green chili's in them)
  • 8 oz Lean Ground beef (be sure to drain the beef after you cook it)
  • 2 tsp Vegetable oil
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and minced (if you want a spicier dish use the seeds)
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup beef broth (I used chicken broth because that's what I had.)
  • 6 oz Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • Salt and pepper

Adjust oven wrack to the middle position and heat oven to 450F. Grease a 9X5 inch loaf pan. Toast 2 of the tortillas in a 10 inch nonstick skillet (they will overlap) over medium-high heat until bubbling and spotty brown, about 2 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Transfer to a plate and repeat twice more with remaining 4 tortillas. (JW Note: I wondered about this step and whether it was necessary. If / when I make this again, I would skip this. I don't think it added anything to the texture or flavor. )

Trim the tortillas to 4 1/2 inch squares, reserving the trimmings. Tear the trimmings into small pieces, combine with the tomatoes and their juice in a food processor, and process until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer to a medium bowl.

Cook the beef in the skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meet with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the processed tortilla mixture.

Add the oil and onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, 2 tsp of minced jalapeno, chili powder and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. (JW Note: I put all the jalapeno in. I didn't see a need to sprinkle it on top later.)

Stir in the tomato sauce and beef froth and simmer until slightly thickened and reduced to 1 cup, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce mixture, 1/2 cup cheese, cilantro and hot sauce into the tortilla-beef mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange 2 tortillas in the bottom of the prepared loaf pan. Spread half of the beef filling over the tortillas evenly. Repeat with 2 more tortillas and the remaining beef filling, ending with the last two tortillas on the top. Cover with the remaining tomato mixture. Bake until the filling bubbles lightly around the edges and top of the filling begins to brown, 15-20 minutes. (JW Note: Put it on a baking sheet. I'm just sayin'.)

Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese and remaining minced jalapeno and continue to bake until the casserole is hot throughout and the cheese is browned in spots, about 10 minutes longer. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.

JW Note: I served this with sour cream on top and it added a nice creamy and cooling flavor to the whole thing.

1 comment:

laura said...

This is one of our favorites at my house. The kids have named it Enchilada Lasagna.