Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Quick Beef Bourguignonne (Beef Burgundy)

That French word has too many letters.  While I appreciate Real Simple being specific, it seems to me that if they title a recipe "quick" they should then make the title short. Just a Jenn Theory.

Anyhow...

I'm IN LOVE with this recipe.

First, I love Beef Burgundy and hate how long it takes to make a good version of it.  The other "quick" versions I've tried just doesn't have the depth of flavor an all day cook has. 

Second, this recipe has that depth of flavor.

It calls for a Campbell soup called Golden Mushroom.  In all my life I've never heard of this soup.  I thought I had memorized ALL the soup possibilities Campbell's pushes out...apparently I had not. 

This soup, I think, is what really adds the depth of flavor to this recipe.  It's going in my "to be tried real soon again" folder. 

You should most definitely try this recipe.  I made egg noodles and put it over the noodles...so glad I did.  The creamy sauce with the noodle...OMG.  Burp!


Quick Beef Bourguignonne
Recipe from Real Simple
Serves 4
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/4 pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • kosher salt and pepper
  • 1 10-ounce package sliced mushrooms
  • 1 16-ounce package frozen pearl onions
  • 2 cups red wine
  • 1 10.75-ounce can Campbell’s Golden Mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
1.Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.

2.Season the steak with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

3.Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan and cook until the liquid has evaporated.

4.Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, 5 to 6 minutes.

5.Stir in the soup and ¼ cup water and bring to a boil.

6.Add the steak and the juices from the bowl and simmer, 2 minutes. Divide into individual bowls and sprinkle with the parsley, if using.

No comments: