Sunday, December 12, 2010

Lacquered Short Ribs with Spicy Ginger Sauce

I have a confession.  I've never EVER made short ribs.  I know. Weird considering I'm a cook...but I've never felt like it was something I could do successfully (my dad is Rib Master in our family - all ribs) that I've just not done it.

I secretly collect recipes for ribs though thinking, maybe, one day I'll be brave.

Last night I was brave.

Blueberry came over to do some Christmas stuff and I decided yesterday was the day.  I dusted off the crock pot, again, and put this recipe to work.

Can I just say....Blueberry and I just sat for the first several bits and made sounds like "mmmm", "oh yum" and "OMG these are good..."  We talked with our mouths opened and we were in heaven with these ribs. 

So go out there, buy some beef short ribs and make this recipe.

One side note, it calls for 1/4 cup Sriracha sauce - that was a bit too much for me. It was spicy. I'd cut that in half the next time I make this. And I will make this again.

The size of the short ribs will determine how long they need to cook. Served with steamed rice or stir-fried noodles, this dish makes a fabulous dinner entrée.

Lacquered Short Ribs with Spicy Ginger Sauce
Makes: 4 servings

Total time: Preparation time: 30 minutes, Cook time: 4-6 hours (high heat) 7-9 hours (low heat)

FOR THE SHORT RIBS—

  • 3 lb. beef short ribs, trimmed and seasoned with salt and black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

FOR THE SPICY GINGER SAUCE—
  • 1⁄2 cup chopped scallions
  • 1⁄4 cup minced fresh ginger
  • 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1⁄4 cup Sriracha sauce
  • 1⁄4 cup molasses
  • 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1 tsp. fennel seed
  • 1⁄4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Brown ribs in oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat about 10 minutes, working in batches if necessary.

Transfer browned ribs to a 4- to 6-qt. slow cooker.

Combine scallions, ginger, brown sugar, vinegar, Sriracha, molasses, hoisin sauce, lime juice, fennel seed, and pepper flakes for the spicy ginger sauce in a measuring cup with a pour spout. Pour sauce over ribs.

Cover slow cooker and cook ribs until tender, on high-heat setting for 4–6 hours or on low-heat setting for 7–9 hours.

Serve sauce over ribs.

No comments: