Sunday, December 19, 2010

Puerto Rican Chicken Stew

I've never been to Puerto Rico. I've tried many of their dishes and often wonder what they taste like IN Puerto Rico.  Some day maybe.

This dish was super easy to throw together. And the bonus of it all was it was tasty.

I had a heck of a time finding Annatto.  Turns out in Redmond, Wa you can't find annatto.  I need to track down a spice store around here that might have some off the shelf spices.

I did, however, Google it and found that Goya's Sazon Flavor packets work.  I used Sazón with Coriander and Annatto.  Could I tell it added flavor? Not sure.  If I made this stew again, I'd probably forget this ingredient.

I also don't like mushy rice.  Unfortunately, I had mushy rice in this dish.  If I make it again, I'd make the rice separately then add it in the end. 

Still, it was good and flavorful and worth a try.

Puerto Rican Chicken Stew
Serves 6

  • 4 cups Low sodium Chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped (yah, I so didn't include this)
  • 1/2 cup diced pepperoncinis (I didn't add these either. I forgot to get them).
  • 1/2 cup chopped pimiento stuffed green olives
  • 2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 T White wine vinegar
  • 1 T capers
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp annatto (I used one packet of the Goya seasoning
  • 3 lbs bone in chicken thighs, skin removed (yah, so don't like dark meat. did chicken breasts and they stayed quite moist)
  • 1/2 cup long grain white rice

Combine broth through everything in a slow cooker.  Cover and cook until chicken is tender - 3.5 to 4.5 hours. 

Stir in rice. Cover; cook until rice is tender, on low heat setting for 20-30 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro leaves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can use parboiled rice (Uncle Ben's, but not the instant kind) and it won't become mushy. In fact, you can even reheat leftovers. Rinse the rice under the tap prior to adding it, so you can remove the background flavor of parboiled rice.
Lillian
Puerto Rico