Monday, September 11, 2023

Taco Hand Pies (122 of 150)

I am a sucker for an empanada. They aren't easy to find locally and of the ones I've found they haven't been great. I've made "hand pies" before and I had forgotten 1) how good they are and 2) how easy they are.

The recipe says this will make 12. I really don't know how that's possible. She recommends in her blog post to cut the dough in 5" circles. I did that and I only got 8 out of the two pie crusts. And if this is a meal, a serving seems around 2 - 3 per person. So, I would not assume you'd get 12 out of it, unless you made them smaller. 

I'm going to add these to my favorites for this year. They were very tasty. I put hot sauce / salsa over them and had a side of sour cream to dip them in. 


Taco Hand Pies
Recipe from Everyday Made Fresh

Serves 12

1 box Pilsbury refrigerated Pie Crust you will need both from the box
1 pound ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 c shredded cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

Remove the pie dough from the fridge and follow the directions on the box before using. (It says something about allowing to sit at room temp)

While you are waiting, cook your ground beef, drain the grease, and stir in the taco seasoning. Set aside, and allow to cool completely before using.

Unroll your pie crusts, and cut into 5 inch round circles. I found that a ramekin was the exact size I needed, and used that as my guide. You should be able to get 6 circles from one crust. You will cut three, and then lightly flour your surface, and roll out, with a rolling pin, and you'll be able to get 3 more.

Place the dough on the parchment lined baking pans. Top with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the taco meat. Top with about 2 teaspoons of cheese. Fold the sides together, to create a half-circle, and using a fork, firmly seal the edges. Repeat until you have 12 Taco Hand Pies ready to bake.

You can spray the dough with non-stick cooking spray or you can use one beaten egg to brush on the tops to create a nice golden brown color. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is browned.

No comments: