Monday, June 1, 2020

Southwestern Beef Hand Pies

These little gems are in the oven right now. I've tasted the filling before I put them in the pies and it's fantastic. I can think of so many other ways to use the filling that I'm going to take notes about so I can remember later. 

I used premade pie crust. 1) because I'm lazy and 2) I don't do pie crust well. The premade pie crust tastes fine to me and really is much easier to pull out of the fridge to make these. 

Southwestern Beef Hand Pies
Recipe from Air Fryer Perfection Cookbook
Makes 8 pies

 8 oz 93% ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
Photo from Air Fryer Perfection
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano (1/4 tsp dried)
1 1/4 c black beans, rinsed (I tossed in the whole can)
3/4 c frozen corn
4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 c mild tomato salsa, drained
2 T chopped cilantro
1 package store bought pie dough
1 large egg, lightly beaten


Brown the ground beef and season with garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Drain. 

Transfer to bowl, let it cool slightly. Add cheese, salsa, cilantro, beans and corn. 

Roll 1 dough round into a 12 inch circle. Using a 5" round biscuit cutter; stamp out 4 rounds; discard scraps. Repeat with second round of dough. JW Note: I didn't have a biscuit cutter so I found a bowl that was 5" round and used it. 

Mound beef mixture evenly in center of each stamped round. Fold dough over filling and crimp edges with fork to seal. Transfer hand pies to parchment paper lined baking sheet, brush with egg and freeze until firm, about 1 hour. JW Note: Um, I missed this note and just threw them in the oven. They turned out fine. 

JW Note: I used the oven instead of the air fryer. I wanted to cook them all at the same time. Call it laziness. I baked them at 375F for about 15 minutes, until they were basically golden brown and yummy looking.

Maybe freezing them before the air fryer is necessary. 

Lightly spray base of air fryer. Arrange up to 2 hand pies in prepared basket, spaced evenly apart. Set temp to 350F. Cook until hand pies are golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool. 

No comments: