Friday, September 8, 2023

Mexican Street Tacos (120 of 150)

Here we are again with another recipe for street tacos. They really are among my favorite-est of foods. And I am definitely not interested in apologizing for so many street tacos recipes. 

I only got to marinade the flank steak for about 2.5 hours. I wish I would have remembered at lunch time to set up the marinade, but alas, I forgot.  If you make this, think about a much longer marinating time. The more you leave it, the more flavor. 

I grilled the steak because I just can't fry steak for tacos. The piece of flank steak I bought was rather fatty and grilled up real juicy like. I grilled/heated my street taco tortillas while the steak was resting. I did not burn a single one, surprisingly. 

I served this with my favorite toppings of white onion diced, jalapeno diced, cilantro and lime juice. It's pretty traditional for toppings. 



Mexican Street Tacos
Recipe from Life-in-the-lofthouse.com
Serves 4
  • 1 T vegetable oil
  • 3 T fresh lime juice
  • 3 T soy sauce (I use low-sodium soy sauce)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 ½ tsp chili powder
  • 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
  • 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
  • 2 pounds flank steak or skirt steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 12 street taco size OR mini corn or flour tortillas

TOPPINGS:
  • freshly chopped cilantro
  • freshly diced red onion
  • fresh limes cut into wedges

Pour vegetable oil, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano into a large bowl. Whisk to combine everything together.

Place steak pieces into the marinade mixture; stir and toss to coat all the steak in the marinade. Cover bowl with a lid and place in refrigerator. Let steak marinade for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.

(Cook steak in two separate batches to prevent over-crowding the skillet.)

Using a slotted spoon, remove half of the steak from the marinade. Place steak pieces in hot skillet. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes or until steak reaches your desired temperature.

Place cooked steak onto a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.

Cook remaining batch of steak the same way. Discard marinade.

Serve warm steak in warmed tortillas and top with desired amount of fresh cilantro, red onion and lime juice. Enjoy!

No comments: