Monday, January 31, 2022

Crock Pot Spicy Vegetable Beef Soup (Recipe 15 of 150)

Photo from Spicy Southern 
Kitchen blog
 It is not very uncommon for me to misread a recipe or make my own edits. But it's very unlike me to NOT recognize a recipe belongs in a crock pot when it's actually in the title. Alas, that's what happened in this case. 

It was 5pm when I started dinner. I pulled out the recipe and started reading the instructions. Only THEN did I realize it's a crock pot recipe. So I improvised. Thankfully, these ingredients don't really require slow cooking. 

The rest of the recipe I did manage to follow. The only ingredient I did not include was the potato - taking out carbs where I can. And there was enough going on in this recipe I really didn't think it mattered much. 

Spicy it was. Though I think it was spicy because I added Cholula Hot sauce to it. Otherwise, I didn't find it spicy at all. But I guess "spicy" is in the eyes of the beholder. 

Crock Pot Spicy Vegetable Beef Soup
Recipe from Spicysouthernkitchen.com

Serves 8

  • 1 pound ground chuck
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 (24-ounce) jar pasta sauce
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 1 c water
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 T ketchup
  • 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 package frozen mixed vegetables
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

Cook the beef and onion in a large nonstick skillet, crumbling the beef as it cooks. When beef is no longer pink, drain off the grease and transfer the beef/onion mixture to a 6-quart crock pot.

Add remaining ingredients and stir together.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours.


No comments: