Sunday, January 16, 2022

Chicken and Rice Soup (Recipe 10 of 150)

Soups are quick and easy recipes for me. When it's chilly out I love a good soup. This is a one pot soup
that is full of flavor. Lemony flavor to boot. 

I used left over rice instead of cooking it in the soup. I never know what to do with left over rice, so this recipe is perfect for it. 

I did not use rotisserie chicken though. I don't like the taste of "reheated" cooked chicken. I'm weird I know. Instead I put the chicken into the stock to boil. It makes the soup a little cloudy, but it was still tasty. 


Chicken and Rice Soup
Recipe from Iheartnaptime.net
Serves 4

1-2 T olive oil
1/2 c chopped onion
1 c sliced carrots
1 c chopped celery
1 tsp minced garlic
6 c chicken broth or stock , use more as needed
1 c water
2 tsp fresh chopped thyme , or 3/4 teaspoon ground thyme 
3/4 c long grain rice
2 1/2 c cooked chicken breast
1 T fresh lemon juice , more to taste

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook about 3 minutes and then stir in the garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.

Add the chicken broth, 1 cup water, thyme, lemon juice and S&P. I usually start with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and taste at the end.

Bring the soup to a boil and then turn the heat to medium-low. Add the rice and cover with a lid. Let simmer for about 10-20 minutes, or until the the rice is almost cooked through. Then add the chicken. Add more lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Cook just until the rice is tender.

Remove soup from heat. Serve soup while hot.

No comments: