Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Recipe 13 of 150)

Photo from
ButterYourBiscuit
Who doesn't love chicken pot pie? I mean, does it get any more comfort food esk than chicken pot pie? Secretly I like the "pie" part the best. And Mrs. Braspir (a LONG time family friend who's so close to us we combined her last name with ours) makes the best chicken pot pie!

In an attempt to NOT eat so many carbs, and still get the chicken pot pie fill, this soup steps in perfectly. 

I did some modifications to keep the carbs down, so here's the list. 

  1. No noodles. I really didn't think they were necessary, but I can see how they would add to this soup. So if you're not afraid of carbs, add the noodles. 
  2. I missed the entire section of putting flour in. Frankly, I'm ok with that. I like my soups to be, well, soupy not gravy texture (unless it's clam chowda...)
  3. No rosemary. Blech. I barely put thyme in. Both of those herbs tend to be very overpowering to me so I use them in very small amounts. In this case, no rosemary, but a little thyme. And I sure wish I had parsley to add some more green and to sing "Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme."
  4. And lastly, I did not eat it with a biscuit, but man that would have tasted good. A side salad filled that role, and definitely not as good as a biscuit. 
  5. I cut my recipes in half so I only used 2 c chicken broth and 3/4 c half and half. I really didn't think it needed more than that.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Recipe from Butter Your Biscuit

Serves 6

  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 1 large carrot diced
  • 2 celery stalks diced
  • 2 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 3 cups half and half
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 3 cups shredded chicken
  • 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
  • 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 8 ounces egg noodles
  • salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta al dente and set aside.

Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and cook another minute.

Add in the flour and cook another minute. Pour in chicken stock and half and half and let the soup come to a low simmer for 5 minutes.

Add in thyme, rosemary, chicken, peas, and corn, bring the soup back to low simmer. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.

Add in cooked egg noodles and serve with buttermilk biscuits or crusty bread if desired.

No comments: