Friday, January 2, 2015

Thai Red Curry Beef

Oh you should smell this house right now. This recipe has been in the slow cooker since 11am this morning. It smells AMAZING. I can't wait to taste it.

I'm posting this early because I know I'm going to love this. I love everything about it already so I'm sure it'll be great. I'll update later if it's not.

This is a slow cooker recipe, so you'll need to plan. I was supposed to make this last night and as I began to prep to cook I realized it was a slow cooker recipe. DOH!

Update: Sadly not  nearly as curry-ee as I had hoped. I, personally, think it could have gone for only 4 hours and been fine. The beef had basically fallen apart and there were vey few chunks of meat...mostly meat pieces.

Thai Red Curry Beef
Photo courtesy of MyRecipes.com

Recipe from Cooking Light Dinner's Ready

Serves 8
245 calories (3/4 c beef, 1/2 c rice)

2 lbs lean beef stew meat
1/8 tsp salt
2 c finely chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 c low sodium beef broth
1 T dark brown sugar
3 T red curry paste
2 T fish sauce
2 T fresh lime  juice
1 can (13.5 oz) light coconut milk
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
2 c bagged baby spinach leaves
4 c hot cooked jasmine rice
1/2 c fresh basil leaves

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Drain. Place beef in a 4-quart electric slow cooker; sprinkle with salt.

Return pan to medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Spoon onion mixture over beef. Combine beef broth and next 6 ingredients (through jalapeƱo); pour over beef.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.

Stir in spinach. Cover and cook on LOW for 15 minutes or just until spinach wilts. Serve beef mixture over rice; sprinkle with basil leaves.

No comments: