Saturday, January 17, 2015

Slow Cooker Curried Chicken Breasts

The January Sunday dinner theme was "Comfort Food". I asked all my guests to bring their favorite comfort food dish. We had it all. Mid-West dishes, farm dishes, oh and some salad - just for something green.

I decided to make a slow cooker meal that I had been wanting to try. My favorite comfort food is Hunter's Stew - but it makes a lot and I figured we'd have enough food. Instead I grabbed this meal for two recipe and oh boy was it good.

You have to like curry, obviously, to make this recipe. It's not an overwhelming curry flavor, in fact, I felt it was a perfect amount of curry.

The recipe is easy, but does take some time to make - hence the slow cooker.

Slow-Cooker Curried Chicken Breasts
Recipe From American Test Kitchen Cooking for Two 2011
Serves 2

2 (12oz) bone-in split chicken breasts, skin removed, trimmed
Salt and pepper
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp minced or grated fresh ginger (really don't skimp on this item)
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp tomato paste
3/4 c low sodium chicken broth
2 tsp minute tapioca (oh and BTW - I skipped this. Tapioca is gross)
2 T raisins
3 T plain whole milk yogurt
1 T minced fresh cilantro
2 T sliced almonds, toasted

Lightly spray inside of slow cooker with vegetable oil spray. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in slow cooker.

Combine onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, oil and tomato paste in microwave safe bowl. Microwave, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker. Stir in broth and tapioca. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 3-4 on low.

Stir in raisins, cover, and cook on high until raisins are heated through, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to serving platter and tent loosely with foil.

In small bowl, combine 1/4 c hot braising liquid with yogurt ( to tempter), then sitr mixture back into slow cooker. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Spoon 1/2 c sauce over chicken, sprinkle with almonds and serve.

Jenn Note: I didn't use bone in chicken since I was trying to server several people. I used boneless chicken breasts and cut them into big chunks. It worked great. The advantage of bone-in is there may be more chicken flavor.


No comments: