Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Sirloin Burgers with Mushrooms, Swiss and Balsamic Mayo

I haven't made a Rachael Ray recipe for some time and I'm glad that I picked this one to ease me back in to. I will say I "followed" this recipe 100%. The only difference is I didn't put this burger on a bun and thus didn't make mayo, but I've had that mayo before and I can vouch for how delicious it is.

Oh and I grilled the burger outside instead of inside ... but that's not that big of difference. I'm trying to get better at actually following a recipe. It's hard for me cuz I think I have a creative food mind...and sometimes I should have just followed the recipe.

Sirloin Burgers with Mushrooms, Swiss and Balsamic Mayo

Recipe from Rachael Ray 30 Minute Meals 2
Makes 4

Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling, plus 1 T
1 T finely chopped onion
1 1/3 lb ground sirloin, 90% lean
1 T Worcestershire sauce
Steak seasoning blend like McCormicks Montreal Steak seasoning
4 crusty rolls, split
12 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
4 slices swiss cheese
3 T aged balsamic vinegar
1/2 c mayonnaise or reduced fat mayo
ground pepper taste

Preheat grill pan or large nonstick skillet for burgers, over medium high heat. In a small nonstick skillet over moderate heat, saute chopped onion in a drizzle of olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Set pan aside.

In a medium bowl, combine meat with Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning blend. Mix in sauteed onion and form into 4 large patties. Drizzle patties with a touch of olive oil. Quick toast your split rolls on the hot grill pan or skillet and set aside. Then add burgers to hot pan or skillet and grill or pan-fry, 4-5 minutes on each side for medium to medium well burgers.

Return small nonstick skillet to stove over medium-high heat. Add 1 T olive oil and sliced mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper, then saute until just tender, about 3-5 minutes. remove from the heat.

Pile mushrooms on top of burgers just before you are ready to take them off the grill or out of the pan. Fold each slice of swiss cheese in half and rest on top of mushrooms. Place a loose tin foil tent over the burgers and turn heat off. Allow the cheese to melt down over the mushrooms and burgers, about 2-3 minutes.

Combine balsamic vinegar, mayo and lots of ground cracked pepper in a small dish.

Put burgers on rolls. Slather the top of buns with balsamic mayo. Add romaine, tomato and whatever else you like on your burgers.

No comments: