Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Gruyere-Bacon Dip

For my birthday again this year I asked everyone to bring their favorite appetizer. I'm a big fan of appetizers and so this is a chance to have appetizers for dinner. It's a win-win.

In an attempt to keep things somewhat healthy, I chose this recipe from the Cooking Light Dinner's Ready cookbook. So far I have yet to try a recipe in here that I haven't liked.

This recipe is a slow cooker recipe. I almost didn't do it in a slow cooker but at the last minute decided, "why not?" I'm glad I did. It worked perfectly and ended up being absolutely delicious.

Gruyere-Bacon Dip
Photo from MyRecipe.com
Recipe from Cooking Light Dinner's Ready
Yield 16 servings, 102 calories per serving. Serving size 2T.

1/2 c chopped onion
cooking spray
4 oz shredded Gruyere cheese (about 1 cup)
1/2 c canola mayonnaise
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dry mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1 8 oz block fat free cream cheese, softened
2 T chopped green onions
4 center cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauce 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.

Place onion in a 2 1/2 quart electric slow cooker coated in cooking spray. Add cheese, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, cream cheese and salt and pepper. Stir until blended. Cover and cook on LOW for 1 1/2 hours or until cheese melts, stirring after 45 minutes. Top with green onions and bacon.

No comments: