Friday, November 14, 2014

Grilled Chicken Salad with Green Goddess Dressing

Being in a new job where a full kitchen is available to me I thought I would try to branch out my lunch options. The frozen meals, the cans of soups and the tuna sandwiches were getting old.

Coupled with that I purchased two more WW cookbooks. And found a bunch of recipes for salads and sandwiches. 

This week for a dinner option I made this recipe. I really like green goddess dressing and have a dip recipe that I've often "loosened" up to use as a salad dressing. This recipe was delicious.

A couple of things, though. First, I've never used tarragon before and found it quite tasty.  I didn't put in as much as they said for fear of  not liking it. I'd put it all in next time.

It also has no garlic in it. I think garlic would round out the flavor for this. I found it lacking a bit. Still flavorful, but lacking.

Oh, and for the salad I didn't use ice berg. No nutritional value in that lettuce, so swapped for romaine. I really don't think that matters much at the end of the day. And I added a few other things like tomatoes and cucumbers.

Grilled Chicken Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
Photo by welldonerecipes.com

Recipe from Weight Watchers Ultimate Chicken Cookbook

Makes 4 Servings

1/2 c fat-free sour cream
1/4 c fat-free mayonnaise
1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
2 T coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
1 T tarragon vinegar (oh right, I didn't have this either so used red wine vinegar)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 (1/4 lb) skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper
1 (16 oz) bag iceberg salad mix

Puree the sour cream, mayonnaise, chives, tarragon, vinegar, and W sauce in a blender. (Note: I had to add some nonfat milk to loosen this up too).

Spray the grill rack with extra virgin olive oil nonstick spray; prepare the grill for a medium-hot fire. Lightly spray the chicken with nonstick spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Transfer 2 T of the dressing to a small bowl; set aside. Combine the salad mix and the remaining dressing in a large bowl; mix well. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Cut each chicken breast on the diagonal into 1/4 inch thick slices; arrange 1 breast half on top of each salad. Drizzle the chicken evenly with the reserve 2 T dressing.

Cook's Tip: If you don't have fresh tarragon on hand, substitute 1/4 c fresh basil leaves, chopped, but don't use dried tarragon as it lacks any flavor resemblance to fresh.

No comments: