Monday, November 24, 2014

Asian Burger with Honey-Lime Slaw

Let me first start by saying...YUM! This was one of the best meals I've made out of the WW What to Cook Now cookbook?

It's simple. It's flavorful. It's just down right delicious.

The slaw is really what makes it I think. I topped my burger with the slaw so every bite was burger and slaw.  Crunchy and delicious.

The ONLY think I'd do different next time is I'd grill them. It was pouring rain out tonight so I decided to just cook them in a pan like the recipe says. I hate, scratch that, HATE cooking burgers in a pan. I can never get the heat just right so the outside doesn't burn while the inside isn't cooked.

Asian Burgers with Honey-Lime Slaw
Recipe from WW What to Cook Now?

Serving 1 burger and 1 cup of slaw - 252 calories
Makes 4 servings

1 lb ground lean beef (7% fat or less)
1/4 c plain dried bread crumbs
1/4 c finely diced onion
1/4 c plus 1 T hoisin sauce
2 T reduced sodium soy sauce
1 T lime juice
1 T honey
4 c thinly sliced cabbage
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro

Combine beef, bread crumbs, onion, 1/4 c  of hoisin sauce, and soy sauce in a medium bowl, mixing just until combined. Shape mixture into  for 1/2 " patties.

Spray medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until an instant read thermometer reads 160F (about 5-6 minutes on each side).

Meanwhile, whisk together remaining 1 T hoisin, lime juice and honey in a large bowl. Add cabbage, carrot, bell pepper (obviously I didn't add the bell pepper - blech) and cilantro. Toss to coat. Serve slaw with burgers.

Note - I used a package cole slaw mix instead of cabbage. It already had the carrots in it and there was no chopping.

No comments: