Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chicken and Noodles

I've come down with a bit of a cold. Well, almost, I think. My throat is sore and I have what feels like the starts of a stuffy nose.  Oh goody.

Thankfully, I thought, I was making chicken and noodles this week. I thought it was a soup but it turns out it's more of a stew. Which was fine. I could have added more broth to make it a soup if I really wanted, but the stew consistency was just fine.

Super EAST recipe again. I love easy.  And it was tasty. I only made a couple of substitutions in this recipe. My notes on those changes are below.

It calls for already cooked chicken, so its a great recipe for left over chicken.

Chicken and Noodles
Recipe from Cuisine at Home
Serves 2

1 T olive oil
1 T unsalted butter
1 c sliced button mushrooms
1 medium carrot, sliced in coins
1 small russet potato, peeled and cubed
1/2 c sliced leeks (I didn't want to spend $2 on a leek so I used diced onions)
1 T tomato paste
1 T flour
2 c low sodium chicken broth
4 oz Kluski Noodles (dried egg pasta thick noodles) ( I couldn't find Kluski Noodles so I used Reame's Frozen Egg Noodles)
1 c diced cooked chicken
1/2 c frozen peas

Heat oil and butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat and stir in mushrooms, carrot, potato, and leek. Cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.

Stir in tomato paste and flour and cook 1 minute, scraping up bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in broth and noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.

Add chicken and peas, cooking until heated through, about 3 minutes.

Taste and add salt/pepper to taste.

No comments: