Monday, January 13, 2014

"Bring It On" Brisket

If any of you read my normal blog you know I'm a fan of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I like to go to restaurants that host Guy visits and tells us all about.  Because I'm a Guy fan I bought his cookbook.

This is a super easy recipe, but does take a lot of time to cook the meat.  As it should with brisket.  I found this super flavorful and so good I'm moving it to the top of my list of recipes to make again some day soon.

I should mention I did not use brisket.  I found it too expensive for this girl's pocket book right now. So instead I bought a 7-bone pot roast - I figured the type of meat I used in this really wouldn't make that much of a difference.  I gotta say, I'm so glad I went with the 7-bone.  The fat was less, but the flavor was fantastic.


"Bring it on" BRISKET
Recipe from Guy Fieri
Serves 6

4 1/2 - 5 lb beef brisket (I made two 7-bones that was about 7 lbs total and I doubled this recipe)
1 T kosher salt
2 T freshly cracked pepper
2 T canola oil
2 yellow onions, cut into 1" rings
2 leeks, whites and light green parts only, cleaned and cut into thirds
2 shallots, quartered
1 carrot, cut into half lengthwise, then into 1 inch chunks (I put in about 5 carrots cuz I planned on serving them with dinner)
4 celery stalks, cut into thirds
3/4 c Chili Sauce (Guy provides a recipe, but I chose to purchase the jarred Chile Sauce. In fact, I didn't realize Guy provided a recipe until this very moment.)
1/2 c low sodium beef stock
1 12 oz beer, at room temp (Pale ale is what I used)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Rinse the brisket and pat it dry. Season each side with salt and pepper, pressing them into the beef.  In a large cast-iron Dutch oven over high heat, beat the canola oil to the smoking point. Add the beef, fat side down, and sear until browned. Repeat on the other sides, 3-4 minutes per side.

Top the onions, leeks,shallots, carrots and celery. Combine the chili sauce and beef stock and pour over the brisket. Cover and roast in the oven, for 2 hours, basting every 30 minutes.

Add the pale ale, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours more, basting every 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let the brisket rest at room temperature for an hour. [Jenn's Note: Yah, I didn't let it sit for an hour. I let me 7-bone sit for about 20 minutes.]

Remove the brisket from the Dutch oven and set it on a cutting board.. Carefully remove the fat cap with the edge of a fork and discard. Remove the vegetables and run them through a food mill or puree in a food processor. Skim the fat from the pan juices. Add the pureed vegetables back to the Dutch oven with the pan juices. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and heat the sauce over low heat. [Jenn's Note: Again, I didn't do this. I served the veggies on the side AND made a little gravy with the juices from the pan.]

Slice the beef on the diagonal, across the grain, and serve with sauce.

No comments: