Monday, March 28, 2011

Thai Style Chicken

Update June 20, 2022
I made this again tonight. I noticed in my notes that I recommended blending the ingredients together to allow it to combine better. I'm not sure that was the right choice. The cilantro was overwhelming. Good, but overwhelming. 

Chicken is boring to me. Its the main meat that I eat for many reasons, one of which it's supposed to be healthier than red meat.  Not that I don't eat my red meat, I am just trying to eat less of it.

Thus chicken has become boring.  I have hundreds of chicken recipes that all seem to be slight variations of each other and usually include, well chicken, cheese, rice/pasta, cream...in other words, nothing healthy.

No, I'm not on some health kick, but I figured every now and then eating better for me might be a good thing.

So this recipe.  Flavorful! Took chicken to a different level of goodness.  I'm a fan of curry which could be why I thought it was so good. There is a strong curry presence, you've been warned.

This also appeared to be a very close cousin to the Chicken Satay I did last week.  I think I'm a chicken / curry phase.

Thai Style Chicken
Recipe from Martin Yan
Serves 4

  • 3T fish sauce
  • 3T finely chopped cilantro
  • 2T minced garlic
  • 1T grated ginger (I forgot this in my version. With it I'm sure it would be 10X better)
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper (i used black pepper because that's what I had)
  • 8 chicken thighs (yah not so much. I used chicken breasts)

Combine everything but the chicken.  I did mine by hand, but if I did it again I'd put it in a food processor to make it nice and paste like.  Put the marinade and the chicken into a zip loc bag. Let sit for AT LEAST 4 hours - over night if you can. I did 5 hours and it was fantastic.

Bake, broil or grill the chicken. I cut my chicken into big chunks and put it on a skewer and grilled it. See my theory here is if you cut a chicken breast into chunks, 6 sides gets marinade. Where as if you just leave the chicken breast alone only 4 sides (top/bottom/2 sides) gets marinade.  I think you see what I'm saying.

No comments: