Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chicken Satay Skewers

I'm a big fan of chicken satay. Some of the best I've had is at a restaurant in Seattle called Thai Siam on Lake Union.  I've also had some pretty marginal chicken satay. 

Chicken satay is pretty simple. Chicken, some spices, and a nice peanut butter dipping sauce. This recipe, while good, needed a ride to flavor town. If you're not a spicy person, or don't like curry, this recipe most likely is just fine for you.  I was sure chicken satay had curry in it, so I made a special trip to get curry. When I got home and saw it didn't, I used the curry anyhow! Cuz that's how I roll.

This is traditionally an appetizer too, though it was my main course last night.

Chicken Satay Skewers
Recipe from Everyday Food
Photo by Everyday Food
Serves 8

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each), thinly sliced lengthwise into 12 strips
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • Vegetable oil, for pan

JW Notes: I added:
a dusting of curry powder to the chicken seasoning a tsp of cream to the peanut butter dipping sauce (cuz it was too thick, you could just as easily add water) and a touch of curry to the dipping sauce. Hey, I told you I made a separate trip for this curry dang it! I was going to use it.

Oh and I didn't bother to skewer my chicken because it was just me and why waste a good skewer!
Directions

In a bowl, toss chicken with sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, and teaspoon red-pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Thread each chicken strip lengthwise onto a skewer.

Make dipping sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, and 2 to 3 tablespoons water.

Heat grill pan over high. Working in batches, brush pan with oil, and cook chicken until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Serve chicken skewers with dipping sauce.

No comments: