Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mojo Marinated Tacos

I've recently reintroduced pork back into my diet. It wasn't agreeing with me for years, and suddenly it is. So I've been collecting pork recipes.

I'm also a big fan of just about anything in a tortilla.  It's such an easy envelop that holds so much great flavor.  This recipe combined my new found like for pork and tortilla. 

The overall flavor of this wasn't so great.  The caveat is I didn't use fresh squeezed orange or lime juice.  I am not convinced that would make a difference, but there it is.

I made a quick pica de gallo with tomatoes, an onion I had and some lime juice.  I tossed in a dollop of sour cream for good measure. I gotta tell you...this pica de gallo was way better than the pork.

So here's the recipe...try it if you like, but I am betting there are some better recipes on this blog to try.

Mojo Marinated Tacos
Makes 8 tacos

For the pork -
  • 3 T fresh orange juice
  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • 2 T fresh lime juice
  • 2 T minced garlic
  • 2 T chopped fresh oregano (I should also add I'm not an oregano fan  so I omitted this. Perhaps this is where all the flavor comes from)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed

For the tortillas -
  • 8 six inch corn tortillas
  • 1 cup low fat refried black beans
  • 1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
(Note: It should also be mentioned I didn't do the beans either. I thought I had a can and only when I was home did I find out I did not.)

Whisk together the ingredients for the pork.  Drop it into a zip loc bag. Add the pork tenderloin. Let it marinade for 2 hours. (Note: I also didn't give it 2 hours. I gave it one. What? I was hungry.)

Preheat grill to medium high heat.  Grill pork covered until meat registers 150F with a meat thermometer.  Remove and tent with foil. Let it rest while preparing the tortillas.

Top tortillas with 2 T beans each and 2 T cheese.  Place them on the grill over medium low heat and cook until the cheese melts.

Cut tenderloin into thin slices. Top each tortilla with sliced pork.

No comments: