Monday, March 7, 2011

Shanghai Chow Mein

I'm a big fan of Chinese food. And I believe you can make good Chinese food at home, for less $$ and less calories.  Not that I'm watching what I eat or anything...but when I can cut back I try to.

This recipe was super easy and very adaptable to other elements being added. For example, you'll see the recipe calls for leeks and bell peppers.  Well I couldn't afford leeks and we all know what I think about bell peppers, so I improvised and added julienned carrots and asparagus.  As we were enjoying it last night I thought, broccoli or zucchini would be good in it too. Really any vegetable combination.

Shanghai Chow Mein
Recipe from Martin Yan
Serves 6

Marinade:
  • 1 T soy sauce
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced

Sauce:
  • 3 T soy sauce
  • 1 T Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
  • 2 T sweet bean sauce (if you can't find this, hoisin would work)
  • 2 T black vinegar or balsamic
  • 4 tsp sesame oil
  • 16 oz fresh shanghai style noodles or Chinese egg noodles (I used spaghetti)
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 leek, white part only, cleaned and julienned
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned

Combine the marinade ingredients into a bowl. Add chicken and stir.  Let stand for 10 minutes.

Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl.  In a large pot, cook your noodles according to the packaged directions.

Place a wok on high heat until hot. Add oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes until cooked. Add leek and bell pepper and stir fry for 2 minutes.

Add sauce and noodles; gently toss.

If you're using other vegetables, I'd add them when the leeks and bell pepper are added above.

No comments: