Thursday, August 20, 2009

Slow Roasted Salmon with Coconut Rice


Its odd to me that one of my all time, go to recipes, hasn't ended up on this blog. But I'll fix that right now.

I made a comment on facebook about making this meal and was surprised by how many people emailed me asking for recipe. It's a nice lo-cal option for a hearty meal too, so that's always helpful. The other benefit is the flavor combination in the sauce. The lime and curry paste to me is just an explosion of flavor. I make this recipe a couple times a month - though admittedly I don't do the coconut rice each time. I generally just make white rice and save the coconut rice for special occasions.

Slow Roasted Salmon with Coconut Rice
Recipe from Cooking Light, 2005
Serves 8
  • 8 6 oz salmon fillets
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
  • 2 cups Uncooked basmati rice
  • 1 1/2 cups Light coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 cups Water
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup Chopped Green onion
SAUCE
  • 1/3 cup Fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 cup Seasoned Rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Chopped cilantro
  • 3 tablespoons Brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Fish sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Red curry paste

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. To prepare salmon, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place salmon skin side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

3. To prepare rice: Rinse with cold water; drain. Combine rice, coconut milk, water and salt in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 10 minutes, stir in onions.

4. To prepare sauce: Whisk together: Lime, rice vinegar, cilantro, brown sugar, fish sauce and red curry paste.

5. Pour over salmon when serving.

I generally put the rice as a bed and put the salmon on top of the rice. Then pour the sauce over that. Delicious!

No comments: