Saturday, August 22, 2009

Chicken Chilaquiles


I have some very fond memories of my time in Mexico. Most of them happen to be around the food. The exchange family I lived with was blessed with a mother who could cook like no other. At first it was hard for her to let me in the kitchen to "help" - it was just my nature. In Mexico the mom's, especially in traditional environments, did all the cooking and maybe any daughters help out. Still, I eventually convinced the mom, Adrianna, to let me help. She taught me some wonderful dishes. Many of which I wish I could recreate like she did.

Chilaquiles is one of those dishes. The "legend" is that this recipe was created to help finish off leftovers. And it's frequently served for breakfast with eggs. Even knowing that I knew I had to have it for dinner. And, I've been searching since 1991 for a recipe that even comes close to Adrianna's. This recipe was close, but not quite it. Still the flavors and the smells vaulted me back to September 1990 when I first tasted Chilaquiles.

Chicken Chilaquiles
Serves 4
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes in puree
  • 2 canned chipotle chilies in adobo, finely chopped (about 1 heaping tablespoon), plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from same can)
  • Coarse salt
  • 1 small cooked rotisserie chicken (about 1 3/4 pounds), skinned and shredded (about 4 cups), carcass discarded
  • 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves, chopped, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
  • 4 cups (about 3 ounces) tortilla chips
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1.75 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup) I'm not a fan of feta, so I used Queso fresco - which is a traditional Mexican cheese.

Combine oil and garlic in a large (3-to-4-quart) saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and sizzling, 1 to 2 minutes.

Add tomatoes with their puree (breaking tomatoes up), chipotles and adobo, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; season with salt. Reduce heat and simmer rapidly until lightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add chicken and cook, stirring, until hot, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in chopped cilantro.

Divide chips among four shallow bowls; top with chicken mixture and sauce. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, sour cream, and feta. Serve.

No comments: