Sunday, July 10, 2022

Mediterranean Orzo Salad (Recipe 88 of 150)

Photo from Pioneer Woman
I have found the perfect summer salad. You heard me. Perfect! This Med salad has all sorts of flavors that are #1 on my list of favorite flavors. It's pretty similar to my other favorite summer salad Herbed Vegetable Orzo Salad. I first made that salad in 2015 and have made it a hundred times since. 

Tonight is my favorite Sunday dinner, the Low Country Boil. What's a Low Country Boil? 

It's called “Lowcountry Boil” because of the key ingredient, shrimp, which is a principal product of the Lowcountry. Many recipes differ, but the staple ingredients of shrimp, sausage, corn and potatoes remain the same.

That's it. You put all that goodness in a huge pot. Add some seasonings and boil away. Then you dump the whole thing on a table and got at it. We haven't done one of these for a couple of years and all of us regulars loved it then, and are looking forward to it tonight. 

My contribution, besides sausage, is this salad. I had a small bowl for breakfast and I can say 100% this is delicious. As I was eating it I thought about making it without pasta and thought swapping pasta for lettuce would be equally as delicious. 

This is a good summer salad because it has no mayo, which can get icky sitting in the sun. Make this recipe! You don't regret it. I promise you'll want to eat it all the time. 

Mediterranean Orzo Salad
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman
Serves 10
  • 1/4 c Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 whole Lemon, Juiced
  • 1 clove Garlic, Minced
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 12 ounces, weight Orzo Pasta, Cooked, Drained, And Cooled
  • 1 c Red Grape Or Cherry Tomatoes
  • 1 c Yellow Grape Or Cherry Tomatoes
  • 1 c Kalamata Olives, Halved
  • 1 c Crumbled Feta Cheese
  • 1 c Chickpeas, Drained.
  • 1/2 whole Red Onion, Diced
  • 3 T Minced Fresh Parsley

In a jar or bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper until totally combined.

Place the orzo and all the other ingredients in a large mixing bowl and pour the dressing over the top. Stir to combine, taste and adjust seasonings, and refrigerate at least an hour before serving. Top with more feta and parsley and serve as a main dish salad or with grilled chicken, fish, or burgers!

No comments: