Sunday, October 10, 2021

Chicken Adobo with Coconut Milk (Recipe 135 of 125)

Photo from TheKitchn.com
I've had a couple versions of Chicken Adobe, but this one - by far - is my favorite. The flavor in this dish was astounding. It's going into the favorite category for sure. 

I couldn't find drumsticks, oddly, at the store - but I could find wings. So I chose the drumettes and used those. I'll make this again with real drumsticks when I find them. 

I also couldn't find a Fresno chili so used a jalapeno. It might change the flavor slightly with a Freson, but doubt it would be that noticeable. This dish is not spicy, just a little lingering heat with each bite.

Chicken Adobo is a Filipino dish. I've had it a dozen times either by myself cooking it, eating out or friends making it. It feels like in every situation it tastes slightly different. Like each family recipe has a little something different. And I'm ok with that. It makes me want to keep trying it. 

Update: I've been told by my friend Paul that I need add my "other" note that I left out. I may have put in 1/4 c more of the vinegar than the recipe called for. The overall taste was overly vinegar-y so I dumped in about 1/4 c of heavy cream to tone down the vinegar. It made a nice smooth, buttery, sauce. I'd do it again for sure. 

I also couldn't find the Datu Puti vinegar they have in the recipe. Googling substitutions I found rice vinegar was a substitute, so I used that. It may be more vinegar-y than what they suggest. I'm going to go to an Asian market to see if I can find the Datu Puti to try it. 


Chicken Adobo with Coconut Milk (Adobo Sa Gatâ)
Recipe from Thekitchn.com

Serves 4

8 cloves garlic
1 red Fresno chile, or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 pounds bone-in chicken drumsticks and thighs
1/2 c plus 1 T soy sauce, preferably Silver Swan, divided
2 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper, divided
2 T vegetable oil
1/2 c cane vinegar, such as Datu Puti
1/2 c full-fat coconut milk
1/2 c water
2 T raw, coarse sugar, such as demerara
4 bay leaves
Cooked rice, for serving
Thinly sliced scallions, green parts only, for garnish

Coarsely chop 8 garlic cloves. Holding 1 Fresno chile by the stem end, thinly slice the lower half into rounds. Trim, seed, and finely chop the remaining half of the chile. Pat 2 pounds bone-in chicken dry with paper towels. Season with 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper.

Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a small Dutch or heavy-bottomed pot oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the chicken skin-side down and cook until the skin starts to brown and caramelize, about 5 minutes.

Add the garlic, chopped chile or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup cane vinegar, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons raw sugar, 4 bay leaves, remaining 1/2 cup soy sauce, and remaining 2 teaspoons black pepper. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot and gently simmer for 35 minutes.

Uncover and flip the chicken so it is skin-side up. Gently simmer uncovered, adjusting the heat as needed, until the chicken is very tender, pulling away from the bone, and the liquid is reduced and starting to thicken slightly, about 25 minutes more. Serve the chicken over cooked rice. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and rice and garnish with the scallions and sliced chiles if using.

No comments: