Thursday, July 15, 2021

Bisteces a La Mexicana (Mexican Style Beef Stew) (Recipe 92 of 125)

I got a question from a friend about how I could make so much food with such large servings. Let me explain that I cut almost every recipe in half. I rarely make the recipe for the full number of servings. I am just one person and usually cutting it in half allows for a meal for me and one to put in the freezer for the Pantry Goat.

This recipe was FAN FREAKIN TASTIC. Her original recipe cooked for 8 - so even cutting it in half I still had quite a bit left. It'll be a recipe I'll heat up for lunch for sure. The leftover is going to be even better. 

The ONLY change I made is I felt like it needed a bit more flavor so I replaced the cumin with chili powder. I'm not a huge fan of cumin so this swap made sense to me. It obviously changes the flavor, but either way it was yummy!


Bisteces a La Mexicana (Mexican Style Beef Stew)
Recipe from SkinnyTaste
Serves 4

1 pounds top sirloin, diced into 3/4 inch cubes
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 T olive oil
1/2 large white onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick sliced, halved (2 cups)
2 jalapenos, stemmed and sliced (remove seeds for mild, leave in for spicy)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 can petite diced tomatoes and their juices
1/4 c cilantro, chopped

Optional for serving:
warm soft corn tortillas
cooked rice
pickled jalapenos

Season the beef with salt and let it sit 1 hour.

In a large cast iron pan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat. When hot add the meat and cook, stirring 4 to 5 minutes.

Add the onion, jalapeno, oregano, and cumin, and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to low, add the tomatoes and cook, covered stirring every 5 minutes to prevent sticking, until the meat is tender, about 45 minutes. Add the cilantro.

Divide the meat and serve family style with warm tortillas, rice and pickled jalapeno on the side, if desired.


No comments: