Sunday, December 17, 2023

Dad's Spanish Rice (160 of 150)

One of the first meals I remember helping dad make was his Spanish Rice. My young 12 year old self knew nothing about cooking and this was my first lesson (that I remember anyhow). 

I distinctly remember dad having me chop the jalapeno and onion. He showed me how to bend my fingers when holding the lines of jalapeno and how to rock the knife. I sucked at it and the jalapeno bits were all over the place. A lot has changed since then. I can chop like a master. 

Since the first Spanish rice lesson, I've had a LOT of Spanish rice. And I can tell you I've NEVER had it like this. Never had burger in my Spanish rice, and never had bacon or mushrooms in it either. No matter, this is the best Spanish Rice. 

I don't remember Dad using Minute Rice, but I used it tonight because I had it and I was trying hard to follow the recipe. 



Dad's Spanish Rice
Recipe from Dad
Serves 4
  • 2 c minute rice
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (Right...one clove. Try 3)
  • 1/3 c bacon drippings
  • 4 slices bacon, chopped
  • 2 cans tomato sauce (8 oz each)
  • 1 8oz can mushrooms, drained (I used fresh mushrooms)
  • 1 small jalapeno, chopped fine
  • 1/2 c onion, chopped
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • Pork Chops

Salt and pepper

Brown pork chops and set aside. 

Brown bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.  

Brown ground beef, onions, jalapeno, mushrooms and garlic in bacon drippings.

 Add minute rice and cook until absorbed, add tomato sauce. 

Add remaining ingredients, including bacon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. 

Nestle in pork chops, cover and bake for 1 hour at 350F or until rice is tender. 

No comments: