Saturday, December 23, 2023

Best Ever Cabbage Roll Soup (163 of 150)

It's the holiday season and during this time of year I'm bombarded with memories. Many of them are happy and almost always are around food. Things my Mom or Dad used to cook. I may do a whole week of Mom and Dad recipes next year. 

Anyhow, it's been wet and cold, as usual, here in the PNW. And that screams soups to me. I was reading one of my mom's recipes in her old gray box and knew I had to make it. Only problem is, it makes a lot and is kinda a pain in the behind. 

So why not make the  next best thing? Instead of making Cabbage Rolls, I'm making Cabbage roll soup!

This recipe was amazing and easy. I cut it in half (as I do with all my recipes) and it made enough for my dinner, one left over, and a left over for the Pantry Goat. She'll be thrilled. 

The original recipe makes this soup more stew in consistency. I like brothy soups so I added a can of water to rinse out the tomato sauce. I also only used one can of tomato sauce when I cut it in half. Thus the can of water to help with more liquid. 

I added a couple of dashes of hot sauce too. Not sure why but it kinda felt like I wanted some heat with this. I passed on the bay leaf because I'm not convinced the do anything for a recipe. I certainly won't miss it.

Finally, this recipe is going into the 2023 Favorites list. 

Best Ever Cabbage Roll Soup
Recipe from My Incredible Recipes
Serves 4 - 6
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1 large yellow onion diced finely
  • 4 garlic cloves mince
  • 2 medium carrots quartered and sliced
  • 2 c chopped cabbage
  • 4 c low-sodium beef stock
  • 3 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
  • 1/2 c uncooked white rice
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 T light brown sugar
  • 2 T freshly chopped parsley

In a large pot, brown ground beef, onions and garlic in olive oil and saute over medium-high heat.

Cook until the meat is no longer pink.

Add in carrots, cabbage, beef stock, tomato sauce, white rice, bay leaf, and brown sugar to the pot and add salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer for 25 minutes, or until rice is fully cooked.

Take out the bay leaf and serve with fresh parsley and cheese!

ENJOY!
    


No comments: