Sunday, May 7, 2023

Filipino Pork Bistek (72 of 150)

I am not sure what I expected from this recipe. I love Filipino food (well, pancit and lumpia - I've not really had other Filipino food). 

This was a good recipe. Salty though. You do NOT need to add any salt. I use low sodium soy and it was still quite salty. 

What I'd change:
  1. I doubled the marinade because it didn't seem like it would be enough to marinade the pork. It would have been fine. 
  2. Use low sodium soy sauce
  3. If you want crunchier onions, I'd put them in the pan later. Letting this cook for 45 minutes means the onions got very soft. I was hoping for crunchier onions.
  4. Use half the soy sauce for the cooking. You are tossing in the marinade which already has soy in it, so I'd use half soy and half water

Filipino Pork Bistek
Recipe from Low Carb Yum
Serves 4

MARINADE :
  • 3.5 T soy sauce more or less
  • 1 T Worcestershire sauce
  • ⅓ c lemon juice
  • Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
For cooking:
  • 2.2 pounds Boston Butt pork steak cut about 1/3 inch thick
  • 4 T soy sauce more or less
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • 1 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 small red onion
  • 1 small white onion
  • 4 c chicken bone broth
  • ¼ tsp ground black pepper
  • 3 T olive oil for frying


No comments: