Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream (Low Carb) (Recipe 115 of 125)

Photo from OhSoFoodie
I am not an ice cream fan on a regular basis. I have cravings for ice cream every now and then. Instead of having ice cream in the house, I wanted another option that hit the ice cream button and was NOT full of carbs. 

This recipe did the trick. I had made one similar to it several months ago. After letting it be in the freezer for the night, I couldn't even eat it until it was almost melted. Doing some research (aka asking the younger sister who's a low carb guru) I decided to add guar gum to the mix. A little goes a LONG way. Generally the amount to add is 1 tsp to 3 cups liquid. In this case, I only added 1/8tsp and it worked out perfect.

I used Swerve powdered sugar instead of monkfruit because that's what I had on hand. Plus using the powdered sugar means it blends better. 

I shook the Mason jar for just over 3 minutes and it churned just fine. 

Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream (Low Carb)
Recipe from Peace, Love and Low Carb

Serves 4

  • 1 c heavy cream
  • 2 T granular monkfruit JW: I used Swerve powdered sugar
  • 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
  • JW note: I added 1/8 tsp of guar gum to help this be not hard as a rock when frozen
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 T sugar free chocolate chips, optional

Combine all ingredients in a wide mouth pint sized mason jar. Screw the lid on and shake vigorously for 5 minutes. The liquid in side should double in volume, filling the mason jar.

Freeze for 3 hours up to 24 hours.

Scoop and enjoy!


1 comment:

Gary Farnam said...

Such a cool idea for mason jars! Definitely one to try out for my family. How about a recipe swap? Check out this free egg nog recipe since it will be Christmas before we know it! https://livinginthetrendtimes.blogspot.com/2021/09/free-egg-nog-recipe-because-that-is.html