Monday, August 9, 2021

Burrito Bowl Casserole (Recipe 103 of 125)

It's been a while since I've made a recipe that was icky and not worth even sharing. That streak has ended. I made this recipe for Sunday dinner and can I say how glad I am that only Janet and Sherrie made it to Sunday dinner. 

What went wrong? It all sounds like stuff I like. So what was icky?

I think it was the Cream of Mushroom soup. See Sherrie is gluten free so I had to use the gluten free version (I used Pacific brand). I didn't taste it before hand because, well I use cream of mushroom soup all the time in things and I find it just fine. 

The gluten free version, it appears, is very mushroom-y and - how do I put this nicely - earthy tasting. It just tasted dirty. I poured some Salsa over it to cover the taste and it didn't really help. Sherrie seemed to like it just fine so she got the leftovers. 

If I were to make this again, and I most likely wouldn't, I would not use the cream of mushroom at all. It added nothing. 

Burrito Bowl Casserole
Recipe from CookingPanda

Serves 6

  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 (15-ounce) can refried beans
  • 1 (15-ounce) cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 c sour cream
  • 4 large flour tortillas - low carb
  • 2 1/2 c shredded Mexican blend cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add onions. Stir in ground beef and cook until beef is browned. Drain excess grease.

Stir in taco seasoning and refried beans. Remove from heat.

In a bowl mix together cream of mushroom soup and sour cream.

Spread 1/2 of the soup mixture in the bottom of a baking dish. Then layer 2 flour tortillas, 1/2 of the bean and beef mixture and 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Top with tortillas, remaining soup mixture, remaining bean and beef mixture and remaining cheddar cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. 


No comments: