Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken (Low Carb) Recipe 97 of 125

I heart Caesar salads. It's my go to salad frequently when I'm out looking for a salad. I've found a few favorites over the years. And it seems every time I find a favorite, the restaurant closes or they stop making it. So I decided I needed to find THE Caesar Salad that I can make at home as my go to. 

Friends...we've found it. 

What makes this salad is the homemade salad dressing. It's tangy, buttery and so very Caesar. Do NOT skip adding the anchovies if you make this. They are essential to the salad dressing tasting right. 

The chicken was spot on as well. The marinade for the chicken is a mayo base and I gotta say it made the prettiest grilled chicken look I've ever made. 

This is a low carb recipe - just don't look too close to my photo because I put croutons in the salad as well. You can't have a caesar without croutons. I missed the part of the recipe where you're making parmesan crisps for your "croutons". I'll try that next time for sure.

For the chicken marinade, I didn't read the directions well enough. I used 1/3 cup of the caesar dressing I just made instead of just mayo and adding all the other stuff in it. And therefore some of the marinade items I didn't add because they were in the Caesar dressing. It turned out good I think. I'd do the same next time I make this. 

And there will be a next time. Plus I have extra Caesar salad dressing that I have to use. This would be a GREAT, and easy, lunch recipe. 

Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken (Low Carb)
Recipe from Kicking-carbs.com

Serves 4

Dressing

  • 1 c mayonnaise
  • 2 ounces Parmesan cheese good quality
  • 2 T Dijon Mustard
  • 2 T lemon juice [JW: I used a whole lemon that was pretty juicy]
  • 1 T anchovy paste
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 c extra-virgin olive oil

Chicken:

  • 1/3 c mayonnaise [JW: I used 1/3 c caesar dressing]
  • 2 T coconut aminos
  • 1 T lemon juice [JW: Did not add this because it was in the dressing.]
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 tsp Dijon Mustard [JW: Did not add this because it was in the dressing.]
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne peper
  • 16 ounces chicken thighs or breast

Crispy Cheese “Croutons”:

  • 3 ounces fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Salad

  • 3 heads romaine lettuce hearts
  • 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese

For the Dressing: Place mayonnaise, Parmesan, Dijon, lemon juice, anchovy paste, and garlic in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth, using a spatula to scrape down the sides as necessary. [JW Note: if it tastes too "mayonaisse-y" put in a bit more lemon juice.]

Add oil in a steady stream while the motor is running.

If needed, add water a teaspoon at a time until the dressing is to the desired consistency. (It should just barely drip off a spoon.)

Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

For the chicken: Place the mayonnaise [JW note: this is where I used the Caesar dressing instead] in a small bowl and whisk in tamari or coconut aminos, lemon juice, lemon zest, dijon mustard, garlic powder, rosemary, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.

Divide the sauce between two bowls. Brush the chicken with half of the sauce and let marinade in the refrigerator for at least 2 and up to 6 hours.

Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Grill, covered, for 7 minutes. Flip and brush with the reserved marinate. Cook for about 7 minutes more, until the meat reaches about 155 degrees. (It will continue to cook as it rests and reach the recommended 165 degrees.)

For the croutons: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl combine Parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.

Use a tablespoon measure, place Parmesan on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten with a the back of a fork.

Bake for about 9 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.

For the salad: Chop the romaine lettuce. Place in a bowl and toss with the salad dressing. Add “croutons” and sliced chicken. 

Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.

No comments: