Thursday, June 11, 2020

Skillet Shepherd's Pie

This is comfort food at its finest! Shepherd's Pie! Technically, this is Cottage Pie because it uses beef. Shepherd's pie, technically, uses lamb. Actually, I don't think there's anything "technical" about it. It's fact. 

I'm not a fan of lamb, so this works in my favor! 

Super easy, super flavorful meal. I made a few modifications...I can't help myself. 

1. I didn't put any cheese in the mashed potatoes, nor did I broil them. I simply plopped a spoonful or two on top of the filling when I served it. If I were making this for people, I'd totally do both: add cheese and broil. 

2. I didn't add any flour to help with the sauce. I used 96% lean beef so there wasn't much liquid from that AND I let the wine cook all the way out. It wasn't saucy at all, so did not use flour. Yah...saved some carbs. Hahahah...

The best part about this is going to be the leftovers tomorrow for lunch. 

Skillet Shepherd's Pie
Recipe from Cuisine at Home October 2017

FOR THE TOPPING, COOK:
Photo from JoCooks.
11/2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
ADD: 
1/2  c half-and-half
4  T unsalted butter
11/2 c shredded sharp Cheddar
1/4  c minced scallions
  Salt and cayenne pepper   to taste

FOR THE FILLING, HEAT: 
1  T olive oil
1/2  c each diced onion, celery, and carrot
1  T minced fresh garlic
1 lb. ground sirloin
2 T chopped fresh 
  rosemary
1  T each all-purpose flour and tomato paste
1/2  c dry white or red wine
1  c low-sodium beef broth
1  c  each frozen corn kernels and cut green beans, thawed
1  tsp Worcestershire sauce 
  Salt and black pepper to taste

For the topping, cook potatoes in a pot of boiling salted water until fork-tender, 10–12 minutes. 

Drain potatoes; return to pot. Cook potatoes over medium-low heat, stirring, to remove excess moisture, 1–2 minutes. 

Add half-and-half and butter, crushing with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in cheese and scallions, then season potatoes with salt and cayenne. For the filling, heat oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium. 

Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic; sweat until softened, 5–7 minutes. 

Add ground sirloin, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until browned, 5–7 minutes. 

Stir in rosemary, flour, and tomato paste; cook 1–2 minutes. 

Deglaze skillet with wine and reduce until nearly evaporated.  Stir in broth, corn, green beans, and Worcestershire and bring to a boil. 

Cook filling until liquid is nearly reduced, 7–8 minutes. Transfer skillet to a baking sheet. Preheat broiler to high with rack 6 inches from element. Spread topping over filling and broil until potatoes are browned, 3–4 minutes. 

Let pie rest 5 minutes before serving.  

No comments: