Monday, June 29, 2020

Acapulco Delight

This recipe is basically a taco mixed with an enchilada, to create a baby called a casserole. 

I misread the insttructions and didn't add the taco sauce. And why did I miss it? Because I bought enchilada sauce. I opened the can. Put the whole casserole together and thought, "Hmmm, where does the enchilada sauce come in?" 

Then I reread the instructions and misread "taco sauce" for taco seasoning. And well, now I have 28 oz of Green Enchilada sauce. Guess I'm making green enchiladas next week. 

There was nothing to not like about this dish. It's a taco...in a casserole form. 

I did switch this up a bit. First I put it in an 8X8. I'm only cooking for me after all. 

I layered EACH layer with beans, sour cream, taco meat and cheese. Ending with Taco meat and cheese on the top. Somewhere in the layers I put the green onions and olives. I figured it's all going to the same place, no reason to be specific. 

Acapulco Delight
Recipe from Taste of Home
Serves 10 - easily

2 pounds ground beef
1 envelope (1-1/4 ounces) taco seasoning
Photo from TasteOfHome
3/4 c water
1 bottle (15 ounces) mild green taco sauce
9 flour tortillas (6 inches)
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
2 c sour cream
4 green onions, chopped
1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
Chopped tomatoes, optional
Chopped avocados, optional

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. 

Add taco sauce; simmer until slightly thickened, 5-10 minutes.

Cover the bottom of a 13x9-in. baking dish with three tortillas, tearing them into pieces as necessary. 

Layer half of meat mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with half of cheese. 
Layer with three more tortillas; spread with refried beans. 
Cover with sour cream; sprinkle with green onions and olives. 
Layer remaining tortillas over top; cover with remaining meat mixture and cheese. 

Bake until heated through, 25-30 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before serving. If desired, serve with chopped tomatoes and avocados.

No comments: