Tuesday, June 16, 2020

20-Minute Chicken Enchiladas

I'm a fan of enchiladas, but never make them at home unless they are Mom's Enchiladas. I don't particularly like enchiladas that use flour tortillas. I feel like they get too soggy too quickly. I also feel like with corn tortillas they aren't flexible enough in most recipes and crack. 

The FLAVOR of this recipe was outstanding and super easy. But alas, the corn tortillas cracked (even with steaming them) and that makes me sad. 

I modified this recipe just one small way...I added a can of diced green chilis to the chicken mixture. I had the can in the pantry and figured I'd just use it up. Oh wait...two small ways. I added cheese inside the tortilla before I rolled it up. 

This recipe sounded easy and delicious. I will add it to my rotation, though I may just make it in a lasagna style: Tortilla, chicken mixture, cheese, tortilla, chicken mixture, cheese, etc. 

20-Minute Chicken Enchiladas
Recipe from Myrecipes.com
Serves 6

1 c prechopped onion
1 c unsalted chicken stock 
1 T all-purpose flour
1 1/2 T chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
3 c shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast (about 15 ounces)
1 (15-ounce) can unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
Cooking spray
3 ounces preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese (about 3/4 cup)
1 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 tablespoons sour cream

Preheat broiler to high.

Combine first 9 ingredients in a medium saucepan; stir with a whisk. Bring to a boil over high heat; cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Reserve 1 1/2 cups sauce mixture. Add chicken and beans to pan; cook 2 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated.

Stack tortillas; wrap stack in damp paper towels and microwave at HIGH for 25 seconds. 

Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture in center of each tortilla; [JW: I put some cheese in at this point too] roll it up. Arrange tortillas, seam sides down, in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. [JW Note: I put a spoonful of sauce in the bottom of the dish instead of spraying it with cooking spray.] 

Top with reserved sauce and cheese. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly.

Top with tomato and cilantro. Serve with sour cream.

No comments: