Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cajun Fettuccine

So I had the Landlords over on Friday night to celebrate our one year since we all went on the Alaska cruise. You'd think I'd do something like salmon, but instead I had this fantastic recipe I had made once before in my mind. This one. Only I didn't realize that was the name of it and made the recipe below instead.  BIG DIFFERENCE.

This recipe wasn't as flavorful at all. In fact, lacked a great deal in flavor. I'm bummed that I got confused because I think the Landlords and Blueberry would have really liked the other one.

I made one almost pizza ordering mistake. The recipe calls to add an egg yolk to the heavy cream and chicken broth. I added the whole egg on accident. When I added that mixture to the hot pan, I had scrambled eggs. I'm sure it would have tasted fine, but it looked gross.  I dumped, well strained, the whole thing. Cleaned off the sausage and started all over again.

On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being AWESOME. This was a one.

Cajun Fettuccine
Serves 6

  • 3/4 lb fettuccine
  • 3/4 lb kielbasa, sliced (I used linguisa sausage instead)
  • 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
  • 1 T garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne, or to taste
  • 1/4 c sherry
  • 1 c heavy cream
  • 1/3 c chicken broth
  • 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
  • 1 c frozen peas
  • 1/3 c Parmesan, grated
  • 1 T unsalted butter
  • Sliced scallions

Cook fettuccine according to package directions; drain.

Sauté kielbasa in oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until brown. Add the shrimp and cook just until pink, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic and cayenne; cook for 30 seconds.

Deglaze with sherry and simmer until nearly evaporated.  Whisk cream, broth and yolk together. Add it to the pan along with pasta and peas. Bring to a simmer, stir in the Parmesan, and cook until thick.

Finish with butter and scallions.

No comments: